Frisian Stadtholder's Court

Dublin Core

Title

Frisian Stadtholder's Court

Subject

Engraving of the Frisian Stadtholder's Court in Leeuwarden

Description

In 1580 Stadtholder Willem Lodewijk van Nassau-Dillenburg purchased and took up residence at the Rolkemahuis in Leeuwarden, which had been built in 1564 for Philips II Boudewijn van Loo, the rentmeester-generaal to Philip II. In 1603 Willem Lodewijk incorporated the adjacent Dekamahuis, at which point the building is known to have contained thirty-seven lavishly decorated rooms.

In 1661 Stadtholder Willem Frederik extended the building by adding the 'Prinsentuin' (Prince's Garden).

Source

Historisch centrum Leeuwarden

Date

1688

Image

Stadtholderly court at Leeuwarden, 1688

Part of Collection

Citation

“Frisian Stadtholder's Court,” The Wives of the Stadtholders: an exhibition, accessed October 19, 2021, http://emlo-portal.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/exhibition/sw/items/show/21.

Geolocation